- 500 g carrot
- 500 g sugar
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- 2 tbs Fresh Lemon juice
- Cardamom ½ tea spoon (ground)
- Saffron ½ tea spoon
- In a large bowl, combine the washed and peeled carrots with the sugar. Let it sit for a few hours so the water separates from the carrots.
- In the meantime grind your saffron with some sugar and add a few tablespoons of hot water to the saffron. Let it steep.
- Once you see the water from the carrots on the bottom of the bowl, turn on the stove to medium temperature to heat up. Transfer the carrots to a large enameled cast-iron or heavy pot. Cook the carrot jam on medium temperature for 25 minutes while stirring slowly.
- Once you see that the water has evaporated in the pot, squeeze in the lemon juice, add the lemon zest and cardamom. Turn the stove to low temperature and let it cook for 10 more minutes.
- Now you can add your saffron, stir well. Let it cook for 5 minutes and then turn off the stove.
- Let the carrot jam cool down and can accordingly or refrigerate in regular container.
MORE RECIPES HERE
Inspired by the easy no knead focaccia recipe in Bon Appetit, adding a pinch of gold.