Crispy artichokes with salsa verde & saffron mayo
- 1lb tender artichoke hearts (fresh is obviously wonderful, but a high quality jarred artichoke will also work here)
- olive oil (if they are jarred, you can just use the oil from the jar)
- 2 bunches flat-leaf parsley
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 anchovy
- 2 tablespoons capers
- olive oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small pinch of Moonflowers saffron
- 1 cup neutral oil, like grapeseed
- preheat the oven to 400 and place the artichokes in a roasting pan with a generous amount of oil. you want the artichokes completely coated in oil and enough that it is pooling slightly in the dish. transfer the dish to the oven and roast until the artichokes are sizzling and crispy. about 15-20 minutes.
- meanwhile, make the salsa verde:
- pick the leaves from the parsley stems, and chop as finely as possible without being fussy about it. transfer to a bowl.
- finely chop the anchovy and capers and add to the bowl.
- mix in the olive oil until everything is cohesive and saucy. the mixture should be able to slide off a spoon.
Set aside and make the aioli:
- place two egg yolks, a small pinch of saffron, and a splash of lemon juice in a large bowl. whisk vigorously.
- in an extremely slow, steady stream, add the oil.
- the mixture should thicken and emulsify.
- keep adding the oil until it reaches the consistency of mayo.
- salt to taste and set aside
To finish, toss the crispy artichokes in the salsa verde, and plate them alongside the aioli.
MORE RECIPES HERE
Inspired by the easy no knead focaccia recipe in Bon Appetit, adding a pinch of gold.