Saffron Tomato Soup
Recipe by Julia Sherman @saladforpresident
TIME: 20 minutes
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 3 pinches saffron
- 1 aleppo dried chile
- 2 cups frozen tomatoes
- 3 cups broth (homemade please!)
MAKE THE MAGIC HAPPEN
- Add saffron and crushed aleppo pepper to a small bowl, pour warm water over top and set aside.
- In a medium stock pot, sauté shallots with olive oil and salt for 3-5 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and continue to sauté over medium heat for for another 2 minutes.
- Add saffron and chile liquid, tomatoes and broth to the pot, raise the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and purée until smooth. Return to the pot, and simmer for another five minutes.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls, drizzle with olive oil and garnish with croutons.
MORE RECIPES HERE
Inspired by the easy no knead focaccia recipe in Bon Appetit, adding a pinch of gold.