Vegan Rice Pudding
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 pinch of Moonflowers saffron (15 threads)
- 3 green cardamom pods (opened)
- 2 tablespoons pure rosewater
- Crushed pistachios for garnish
- Place the rice in a large bowl and rinse with water. Use your hands to move the rice around for it to release the starch, then pour off the water. Rinse the rice 5 to 7 more times, until the water runs clear.
- Place the saffron, sugar and salt in a small mortar and pestle. Grind them together into a powder. Add ¼ cup of hot water to the ground saffron-sugar mix and let it steep for at least 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan, combine the rice with 9 cups of water, saffron-sugar mix, cardamom and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. Then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer the rice until softened for about 30 minutes.
- Stir the sugar into the rice and cover the saucepan while it’s simmering over low heat. Stir occasionally to ensure that the rice isn’t sticking to the bottom. The texture of the pudding should be like loose porridge.
- Stir in rose water and turn off the heat. Serve the saffron rice pudding into 8 glasses or souffle cups and let it cool. Cover the glasses and let it refrigerate until thickened for about 1 hour.
- Decorate the saffron rice pudding with crushed pistachios and serve at room temperature.
MORE RECIPES HERE
Inspired by the easy no knead focaccia recipe in Bon Appetit, adding a pinch of gold.